An endodontist is a specialized dentist who is trained to diagnose and treat conditions that affect the interior of the tooth. Endodontists are experts in performing root canals and other treatments, such as endodontic retreatment and apicoectomy, that can help restore teeth to their near-normal state.
- Root Canal: Root canals are one of the most common treatments that an endodontist performs. This procedure involves removing the infected or damaged pulp from the center of the tooth and replacing it with a filling material. Root canals can be used to treat severely decayed teeth and can save the tooth from extraction.
- Pain Relief: If you are experiencing tooth pain, an endodontist can provide relief. Endodontic treatment can help to relieve the pain associated with an abscessed tooth, and can also help to save a tooth that has been damaged due to decay or trauma.
- Prevent Tooth Loss: Endodontic treatments can help to prevent tooth loss. Root canals can be used to save a tooth that has been damaged due to decay or trauma, and endodontic retreatment can be used to treat a failed root canal. An endodontist can also perform an apicoectomy, which is a surgical procedure that can help to save a tooth that is at risk of being lost due to an infection.
- Maintain Oral Health: Endodontic treatments can help to maintain your oral health. By saving a tooth that has been damaged due to decay or trauma, you can help to prevent the spread of infection to other teeth or the surrounding gum tissue. Endodontic treatments can also help to maintain the structural integrity of your teeth, preventing them from becoming loose or shifting out of alignment.
- Restorative Benefits: Endodontic treatments can help to restore the aesthetics of your smile. Root canals can be used to fill in damaged areas of the tooth, and endodontic retreatment can help to restore a failed root canal. An endodontist can also perform cosmetic procedures, such as crowns, to help restore the appearance of a damaged tooth.
Seeing an endodontist can be an effective way to save a tooth that has been damaged due to decay or trauma. Root canals, endodontic retreatment, and apicoectomy are just some of the treatments that an endodontist in Louisville KY can provide to help restore your tooth to its near-normal state. Additionally, endodontic treatments can help to relieve tooth pain, prevent tooth loss, maintain your oral health, and restore the aesthetics of your smile. If you are experiencing tooth pain or have a damaged tooth, it is important to visit Scott A. Norton, DMD MSD of Louisville to determine the best course of treatment to help save your tooth.